Friday, September 28, 2012

Fracking EPA Article


     This article is definitely an eye opener. It is crazy to think that these studies show that there are so many pollutants going into drinking water because of fracking. The sad part is, I did not even know what fracking was until I read this article. I believe that Gary Snyder and Richard Kahn would both agree that this article is another true example of how much bioregional knowledge I am lacking. However, this article definitely made me sit there and want to find out where my drinking water is coming from, what are the chances there are pollutants in it, and I even want to test my drinking water for pullutants myself. It is just so frightening to think that I could be drinking chemicals that are bad for me every single day without even realizing that I am!
     One of the quotes in this article that astounded me was “After a phone call with EPA chief Lisa Jackson this morning, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., told a Senate panel that he found the agency's report on the Pavillion-area contamination "offensive."” How in the world can you sit there and say that a study to make sure the drinking water of the inhabitants of your state is offensive? That just drove me crazy when I read it. I think Snyder and Kahn would be appalled as well. It would also be one thing if this was just an innocent bystander who claimed this was offensive. However, it is a senator! That just makes the government look extremely terrible in my eyes, relating to this environmental topic.
     Truly, this article made me think about bioregional knowledge more than anything we have talked about in class. This article hit me harder because it is so recent, and so eye opening. It honestly made me think about my drinking water more than I ever have. It also made me think about how our senator would react if this was being done in North Carolina.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel and I both agree on just how crazy it is that a Senator would call this study "Offensive". It seems to me that he is saying this due to some fracking lobbyists. The sad thing is that there is a danger of possible fracking in North Carolina and many do not even know about it. The public is not well informed on this issue and even I myself had to do some research on fracking before writing my blogpost. Luckily for us, Governor Purdue vetoed the proposed bill to frack North Carolina. That means we are safe... for now.

    ReplyDelete